Sunday, December 19, 2010

Training progress - or lack thereof!

It has been several weeks since I last posted.  My training hasn't been going well - but I have been working on Christmas stuff so my time has been limited.  My goal is to start running again after Christmas and get serious about training for a half marathon after New Years.

That said, I have completed two more 5k since my last blog!  December 11 - the Jingle Bell 5k in Delta Twp with Katie and on December 12 - the Jingle Bell 5k in New Baltimore with Lisa. 

December 11 - Jingle Bell in Delta Twp. 
This was an all women race.  Katie and I did it together.  She finished a few minutes faster then at the Fantasy 5k. It was so much fun - I was yelling at her to start running again every few minutes - she was hating me.  :)  We joked afterward that she would be filing for divorce, not against her husband, but against her sister-in-law! lol


 That is Katie's stance to look skinny!  lol   She looks great - but I am not sure the stance had anything to do with it!  lol  The weather was great this day - for a winter run.  A little ice on the route but not much and they had people standing around it so no one would slip and fall. 

Now the New Baltimore race - that was a different story!  I walked/run with Katie on Saturday and the plan was to run the entire 5k on Sunday.  We were lucky to survive the drive!  The worse winter storm so far this winter hit about noon on Sunday, the same time I left Lansing to go get Lisa and head to New Baltimore.  But we went, our clothes were frozen by the end and the drive back from SCS was almost 3 hours.  Needless to say, we didn't run because of the ice, snow and slush on the road.  We were almost dead last! lol  But neither of us cared and at least we got some exercise that day.  While we were walking neither of us were cold, but our eyelashes had icicles on them!! Lisa got hit in the head with a big piece of ice that blew off the electric lines.  


Before

After - check out the ice on Lisa's hat!

 This race had a little bit of a different personal meaning for me to.  My grandparents lived in New Baltimore when I was little.  The race course took uspast their street and grandma Nana's house.  We drove by the old house before we left town.  Amazing that the white house is still white.  Looks exactly the same - but smaller then I remember it.  And that Hill!!  Amazing the way you remember things and the way they really are. 



What was really nice though was for all the nightmares at that house, I was able to think of all the good memories.  The bad ones aren't important anymore.  Such a great thing to experience finally.  I remember grandma's roast dinners, corn on the cob, chocolate malts, sledding on the hill...  Even the carols at the church were a good memory. :)    They were out caroling during the race.  It was a good day even for the weather and the drive!

 Well - time to start planning for the next running goal.  The New Years Day 5k and the whether or not to join the Playmakers training team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment