Thursday, December 23, 2010

To become a runner...

I tasted it ...the feel of being a runner.  I dream of it, the freedom of running mile after mile.  The feel of the wind on my face,  the beauty of the woods around me, the peace of mind.  I am strong and untouchable...

Even my body wants it - to feel strong, to be healthy, and to be happy. To run.




I dream of running on the beach, watching the freighters in the distance and hearing the crash of the waves.





Or the sound of the fall leaves under my feet...





I dream of runner in the snow on my snowshoes, the beauty of the snow on the trees all around me, the silence of nature ... being part of the absolute perfection of a sunny winter day.





I must beat the battle of the mind.  The body can do it, the mind is stopping it. How can your mind want two things and fight itself? The mental battle is exhausting and ridiculous really. How can you want something so badly and your mind dream about it so clearly, yet your mind also be your biggest enemy?  How do you get your mind to push your body further instead of stopping your body before it even begins to reach its limit? 

My friends say anything I put my mind to I accomplish. But what happens when the mind says no?  And when did I lose control of my mind that it is allowed to say no?    This New Year, I am taking it back and I am going to beat the battle of my mind and I am going to run ... and run ... and run.

Running = freedom

I will find that freedom in 2011 and I will run the Detroit FP half marathon in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment